I'm Rachel, an experienced off-road runner. Having taken up hill and mountain walking as a teenager and road running as an adult, over the past 15 years or so my love of running and the hills have merged. I've taken part in a few triathlons too, including Helvellyn and the iconic Norseman iron-distance race. Over the years I've been running seriously, I've been fortunate enough to run in some incredible places, both in this country and beyond, including the Lake District, where I lived for several years, the Peak District, Scotland, and on many of our national and local trails too. I love nothing more than heading out with my running shoes and a map to explore new routes, no matter where they are.
Having worked as a teacher for many years, I've always loved helping people achieve. Whether adults or children, my desire to enable others to improve through having new experiences, learning new skills and gaining confidence has led me to a career coaching and leading in the sport that I love.
My qualifications / training includes:
* Fell Runners Association / UK Athletics Coach in Running Fitness (trail, mountain, fell and road)
* Functional running assessment and gait re-training
* UKA licensed Guide Runner
* Mountain Leader Summer Award
* B.Ed (Hons) in Outdoor Education
* Outdoor First Aid (16 hour course)
* Enhanced DBS certificate
* Safeguarding and Protecting Children (SPC1)
* British Orienteering Foundation 'Teaching Orienteering'
My experience includes:
* Group and 1:1 coaching of runners of all ages and abilities and on a variety of terrains including off-road and road, both face-to-face and online
* Providing advice and support on off-road running related matters to a range of audiences, including through contributions to magazine articles (for example Womens Running Magazine November 2016 article on hill training)
* Over 12 years' membership of running clubs
* Organising residential outdoor activity visits for adults and children, in the UK and overseas
* Founding member of the Newark parkrun team and regular Run Director
* Member of the Trail Runners Association and Fell Runners Association
* More than 20 years primary school teaching, including as PE/sport leader, outdoor education leader and headteacher (a headteacher who led running clubs and once organised a whole school marathon!)
I am a great believer in lifelong learning and therefore always seek to keep my own learning and qualifications up to date, to bring you the best experiences and coaching I possibly can.